Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Picture of the Day: 
The cutest cake topper I have ever seen, taken at my friend's beautiful wedding!

Quote of the Day: 
"Make a decision, even if it's wrong." 
-Jarvis Klem

Hello again. I am doing better about remembering to update this blog, though I am not entirely sure the content is satisfying. I am not able to say as much as I would like about what I am working on, and I am sure that the vague references to things are grating at best. Still, I would like to take this moment to thank you for staying on this journey with me. If you are reading this, I am sure you are one of two people. And if you are one of those two, know that I am entirely thankful for your support. 

Now. And update.

I have started chapter three, though I am not quite sure if I like how it just plunges in to what I want to happen. Still, in the spirit of the above quote, I am simply going to finish it out the way it is right now and then go back and edit to my heart's content when I have finished enough of my book to have made progress. I can, as I see it, always come back and add some extra chapters or things when I have a mind to do so--before I send it to a publisher to see if someone will take it. I don't like when books feel like they are moving too fast. While I have kept myself satiated with chapter one and two so far, three is beginning to feel like a speeding train. Not precisely what I had in mind. Oh, well. 

Something humorous that I ran across yesterday! Okay, so I have set this pirate novel in a world that I have created from the ground up. Most of the nations in this world are seafaring, though there are a few that are not. Anyway, for the design of each country in the world I have created, I have drawn from real-world places here. Veliar, for instance, is based off of England for style and people (though I have added my own flair and made them different enough to be original!). Well, for Bellumar (the neighboring nation of Veliar), I chose to model their designs after France. The point, therein being, that I needed to come up with differences between the two countries. Well, I decided that Bellumar's people are all darker skinned and have darker hair. Then I decided: What is the harm in saying they are smaller, too? Well, when I put that into action, it sounded like the entire country had growth issues!

Probably not as funny to you as it is to me. But hey, I laughed for a good while about it and then scratched the paragraph. (It could, I admit, have something to do with the fact I was writing at midnight and was terribly sleep deprived! But who's counting?) 

However, this is not the only story going through my head. It is the one I am working on--though, true to Kathryn fashion, another story has arisen and claimed itself a document on my computer, awaiting further attention. So, for a moment I would like to share the basis of my thought with this. Maybe someday when this pirate saga is finished I can look to this for the next work. Mainly, my idea revolves around magic and wizards (though, I am not sure wizards is the proper term? I don't want to sound too much like J.K. Rowling.), but with a twist. There are a lot of people that are "different" in the real world. People with issues that other people do not understand and do not take time to learn about. What if, in this wizarding world, children born with "disabilities", or more rightly differences, need to have their magic bound? 

My idea started out with this particular thought: what if a really rich, really powerful family of magical blood had a daughter who was autistic--and she was the strongest one out of them all? Then, I ran with it and made a few base characters. However, this idea followed: what if there was a deaf girl who had her powers bound when she was little because she was "different", but retained a gift that could not be bound--a gift of "Sight". Well, then I ran with that idea and wondered what would happen if the world needed her to save the world, while simultaneously proving that deaf people are not disabled? 

More thoughts on this may surface whilst I whittle away at Liam's story. I have been attempting to learn sign language with my sister (She is fantastic. I am....not.) and have been watching the T.V. show Switched at Birth--which is really good, as a side note. I am tired of pretty, perfect, wonderful heroines. I think this is the next character I will need to tell the story of. And hey, true to my form, she may even discover something about herself, about other people, and about magic. I am a fan of epiphanies. 

There you have it, folks! An update. Not too terribly boring, I hope. Keep checking back! A journey is never supposed to be easy, but one can only hope that the ending was worth it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment