Monday, February 14, 2011

Picture of the Day: 
Lettuce Lake!

Quote of the Day: 
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." 
- 1 Peter 4:8





Today is book review day! I started reading this book: Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. I am not even all the way through with it yet, but I am very much excited about it, but at the same time it leaves me ashamed. Reader, I encourage you to hear me out on this; it is my hope that I can help you, too.

First of all, let me say this: it most certainly is geared toward womenfolk. Menfolk, I am sorry--this post may not be for you! TerKeurst speaks with loving authority and wisdom--it is clear she has been there before, and she wants nothing more than to spur her lady readers on in the fight.

The fight against what, you ask?

The fight against food.

Yeah, that's right. Food.

Now, back to why I am ashamed.

Let me begin by saying that I think ancient Greek authors had something right: everyone has at least one harmatia, or tragic flaw. Something we struggle with. Personally, I have never thought of food as an idol. Sitting in Bible class, it is very easy to recognize wealth (greed), power (pride), and similar things as idols--things that take the place of God. These things have all very clear places in the Bible where God explains that they should not come before him. Food, though, seems so innocent.

I have found that I worship the idol of Food. I turn to Food before God in my times of trial. I eat when I am depressed; I eat when I am bored; I eat when I am happy. Face it, ladies. I. Eat. And I know I am not the only one that does it. I am ashamed of myself--I should be upright enough to forego idols altogether.

Maybe you worship Food too. Then let me say this: You are not alone. I promise! TerKeurst wrote this book so that we could learn to satisfy ourselves with God and not Food.

She speaks on my very problem: you think to yourself, "Well, I am not using illegal drugs. I am not sleeping around and succumbing to my desires of the flesh like that. Surely God wouldn't care what I eat." This book is about the truth: yes he does.

This book is not about dieting. Let me repeat: this book is not about dieting. This book is about your heart, designed to help you as you tackle your eating habits. It is meant to help you find your "want to" for eating right, and designs your trek with weight loss to be a trek with God. It is simply fantastic.

Perhaps I should write a Bible study for women about these things. I am encouraged now that I have found my problem and am willing to tackle it full on, and I want to help everyone else tackle it too.

It shouldn't take me long to devour the rest of this book. Dear reader, let me challenge you to take this one on too. Let us no longer be ruled by our stomach, but God himself. I will be tackling my issue with food from this point out. With y'all as my witnesses, I shall seek to remove Food from it's pedestal and place God back to where he needs to be.

We, as humans, were made to thirst and crave. This book is about satisfying all of the desires with God, and not chocolate, mashed potatoes, bread or cake. Let's face it: one leaves you a lot more fulfilled.




Do not think I have forgotten that today is Valentine's Day, either. Remember that even if you are spending this day single, you are not alone or unloved. God knows your name, and let me promise that there is no love that is as pure! My lady readers, I repeat: you are loved.

Go out and make today count.

What have you done for the Kingdom today?

No comments:

Post a Comment