Monday, October 18, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name...

Picture of the Day:
Mystic Seaport

Quote of the Day:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-Abraham Lincoln


I don't know what Shakespeare was thinking when he said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". (Okay, that is a lie. I know exactly why he said that.) Perhaps what I don't understand is why this doesn't apply to everything in life.

A title to a work, for instance, is very important. And a really good book could fall flat on the selling-floor because it has a title that doesn't catch interest or simply doesn't sound good. I suffer from anxiety over the fact I cannot name anything. Papers for school or creative prose, I cannot seem to find a good working title. 

I do regret to say that I have not had much time to work on anything recently. I am so busy with school that all of my documents have been sitting unused on my desktop. I will get back to them as soon as the semester is calming down (or winding to a close, whichever comes first. Sadly, it looks like the latter.) and everyone here will be the first to know when that is. 

I carry my notebook with me all the time anyway, just in case. But really, when school starts, my productivity on my writing slows until it comes to a standstill. Not to mention that my Legacy of Elysia (Yes, that is the working title I gave the book series. Yes, I am aware it is weak.) series seems to have been leaving me uninspired lately. I think I worked on it too much and just dried myself out for a while. Hm.

Remember that piece I told you I was working on that I said was Criminal Minds meets Supernatural? Well, I am going to give you a sneak preview of it; this is the prologue, which also happens to be what I plan to be an excerpt from later in the book. 

Now, I am only on chapter two of this fine work, and I plan on finishing it soon with many plot twists. Therefore, enjoy the sneak peek, and wait until it is published! 

Happy reading!





Prologue:

“Do you believe in God, Agent Calvin?” The young lady asked with a haunting blue stare. All at once the air seemed to grow cold in the conference room, and the people in it fell utterly silent.
“Beats me,” Calvin replied after a moment, though did so uneasily, brown eyes narrowed and uncertain.
The girl looked unfazed by his reply, and her stoic and cool expression did not falter. “You will.”


No comments:

Post a Comment