Sunday, October 17, 2010

Matter of Heart

Picture of the Day
A trellis at Busch Gardens

Quote of the Day:
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
-Edgar Allan Poe, "Eleanora"


Sometimes, things you hear sitting in church just stick with you. Someone in the class who I greatly admire for his Biblical knowledge mentioned this quote today:

"Hell is God's final act of love for those who want nothing to do with him."

I don't know who said it first; in fact, I am not sure the other person knows either. What I do know is that for the first time in my twenty one years of existence, the purpose of Hell made complete and utter sense.

I promised a journey about my writing, and right now I am sure at least one person is wondering what this has to do with anything. My answer? Everything. Even if you overlook that one of the novels I am working on closely deals with aspects of Christianity, I am a Christian author. God should have everything to do with what I do.

I know a lot of people (most that I hold close and dear to my heart) that detest God, or think of him as a fabrication of the human mind. Personally, I do not understand this view. When I look around, I see the stars, the trees, the design of things as they have been made and I see a creator. I cannot fathom it all being by chance or random occurrences, and I will not be shy about it.

One of the questions I am almost constantly confronted with as a Christian is: "If there is a just God, how can he send people to Hell?" 

Now, I can confidently respond. "It is what they want."

People who live like there is no God do not want a God. And what is Hell other than the absence of God? And if God is all things good, taking him away leaves nothing but the bad. Mainly, an unpleasant eternity await those that choose it. 

He is not unjust; Hell is not as much of a punishment as it is God giving people precisely what they thought they were seeking. I truly am in utter awe; sometimes things just seize you and take your breath away. This quote was one of those things.

I promise I will put up another sample of writing soon (maybe even later today). This just needed to be written while the inspiration was with me and in me, and to clear my mind of something that has been pressing and nearly haunting me.

It is really amazing to me how God answers questions.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Katie! I loved reading it.

    The quote came from Wes's Twitter page. One of his professors said it. Here it is verbatim:

    "Hell is God's final expression of love to forever honor man's decision to be left alone." Dr. Hintzoglou, Fuller Seminary

    ReplyDelete