Monday, October 25, 2010

Introducing Inspiration and Relaxation: Loreena McKennitt

Picture of the Day:
Lettuce Lake Park

Quote of the Day:
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." 
-Mark Twain

I went to the library yesterday. May I just take a moment to praise the purchase of used books? Because I think there is nothing better than walking out of the library with four books and paying $2.50. I will get to them as time permits; in between school reading and The Alienist, which is my current read for the moment, I am having plenty to juggle. I will review them as I get them finished, this I promise.

I took a look at their music CDs at the library while I was there. I picked up some new Celtic Woman and a CD by Loreena McKennitt, another Celtic/World artist, and the next artist I am going to share with you for my Soundtrack of Inspiration and Writings.


This one is called "Mystic's Dream".






She has a very distinct style, and I find that it is both relaxing and inspiring. Her stuff is just outlandish enough that it transports me into somewhere new and uncharted. This, I confess, was the first song I heard of hers, and immediately I was thinking of Nydia, a character from the Legacy of Elysia series. 

Nydia is a young girl (in the first book she is about fifteen years old) who has given her life over to be a priestess and has been declared as an Oracle, a High Priest or Priestess that can literally communicate with the gods themselves. She is the second daughter of a prominent Judge of the city Micaladin, and her elder sister, Nessa, is one of the antagonists of the series.

I love the instruments that she uses in this particular piece; it sounds almost Middle-Eastern, and is the type of music that I could see my land of Elysia partaking of and taking joy in. Not only that, but the music itself is very peaceful. Loreena McKennitt is an artist you can sit and listen to in the dark and feel stress leave you. Haunting and lovely, I fell in love with her immediately. I will leave a few more samples of her for you here; maybe it will ease the passing to the first day of the week!









Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment