Thursday, June 16, 2011

Picture of the Day: 
From Adventureland in Disney World -- The Tortuga Tavern's decor. 

Quote of the Day: 
"Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go."
- E. L. Doctorow

Hello, dear readers! I have not been updating as I should (do I open every post this way? Gracious!) but I have been quite busy working away at various projects--I had an idea for another novel (I will not bore you with that at this time, promise) and have kept up with my pirate novel. I have fleshed out my characters a whole bunch, and am now becoming satisfied with my idea as a whole. Some of the problem spots I had come across have been smoothed over with some creative twists that I cannot wait to write about, and I have been brainstorming ways to make my story even more unique. This is what I want to talk to you about today, reader. I need some help!

All right, so my sister suggested something that at first I dismissed immediately, thinking it sounded silly or ridiculous. However, I have been thinking about it and now it seems like it might add just another dash of magical goodness to an already fantastic world. I want you, my reader, to take a listen to the idea and then barrage me with your opinions. 

Okay--so here it is. 

Octopi are known for being extremely intelligent. They are capable of opening jars, memorizing shapes and (apparently) picking winning teams. Okay, so the last one is a joke. Anyway, my sister suggested that perhaps in my world octopi are even more intelligent and can be trained to do various things, making them formidable crew members. 

I have altered this a little bit. There will be octopi, but also something smarter and larger than an octopi. (Not Kraken large, just...a little bigger. You know?) For the sake of this idea we shall call them greaterpi. Anyway...these greaterpi are smart enough that if you wheel a tank of water to the helm and leave them there overnight, they can take the helm as part of the skeleton crew.

Lame or awesome? 

Am I trying too hard? Or could a greaterpi be the next coolest pirate playmate ever? (Beats blasted monkeys, that is for sure!) 

Send me your votes, and I will consider my fan's opinions. 

Ha--like you all could be called fans yet. 

Still, I value the opinion of the reading public. 

YAY or NAY? 


4 comments:

  1. ...This may just be you're best idea yet! Thank God for your sister... she seems to be of quite the gifted sorts... Kudos. :{D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a very good case to be made that the proper plural is ocrtopodes, since the word octopus comes from the Greek. Similarly, platypus, platypodes.

    Also, yea, not yay. Unless you mean YAY!, in which case you are utterly correct.


    (I try and try to not be such a grammar nazi, I truly do. It doesn't work well, though. You're still the best)

    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, who wouldn't like a friendly octopus buddy to steer the ship for a while? I'm for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxie - I love that you corrected me. Sometimes, I wonder what in the world happens to me when I get sleepy--some things just come out BAD. So...for the sake of the argument, I will say yes I meant 'yay', because I wanted the excitement behind a yes. However, I have NEVER heard octopodes--but that sounds infinitely better than octopi. =]

    ReplyDelete