Saturday, May 14, 2011

Picture of the Day: 
T-Rex Cafe, the coolest restaurant in Downtown Disney!

Quote of the Day:
"The ballet embodies the notes of music. And sometimes you almost feel like you can see the notes dance up there on the stage."
-Robert Caro

Hello, my dearest readers. I have quite a confession to make to you all here this day: I have not written or read a single thing since school has released. I have told myself almost daily to sit down and try my hand at penning something to paper, and yet it does not seem to work. I am inspired to be creative after my short trip to Disney, unfortunately it does not appear to be leading me anywhere near a book of any sort. No; I have been quite preoccupied with dance. 

I have been a dancer since I was three years old.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I am amazing. I am merely trying to show you how ingrained dance is into me. I am not bad, and I am not eligible to rush out and join a company. But I do enjoy myself completely, and it shows when I am up on stage.

Now, I am planning two distinct dances--both of which are duets with my sister. Yes; it is going to be one amazing recital. In one, we want to do a very dark, twisted version of Swan Lake (but lets face it, Swan Lake is already dark!) to the amazing soundtrack of Black Swan.

I am not advocating seeing the movie--I heard it was very risque and, well, awkward at moments. However, the soundtrack is a beautiful mixture of Tchaikovsky and creepy ambient music. Here, take a listen to my personal favorite from the soundtrack:




Turn it up. It is quiet. Better yet, put in headphones.


I don't know why this is so tinny sounding, but bear with me. It is so lovely. See why it is absolutely amazing? Okay. Now, my sister and I are thinking about this song for our first duet:



Ooh. Amazing.


I will be playing the part of Odette, the White Swan. My sister will be playing the part of Odile, the Black Swan. Now. If you are unfamiliar with Swan Lake, the ending is not exactly cheery--the White Swan commits suicide after Prince Siegfried vows fidelity to the Black Swan in her stead. (In some versions, Siegfried plunges to his death with her. Depends on the rendition, I suppose.)

Anyway, I am finally pleased that the music is as dark as the tale.

And my sister and I plan on making the dance absolutely stunning--and haunting. Something the audience is not going to be entirely sure they want to clap to or not. It will be fabulous.

For the second dance, we plan on doing "Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer.

I can see some quizzical faces. I am not, by any means, someone with liberal political views. And, as most people are aware, John Mayer's song is...well...liberal. Hey--I am hoping for a better world, too. I just think that perhaps my way of getting there is different than Mr. Mayer's. So, I feel the song is not entirely out of place.

But that is not why we picked it.

See, my sister is fantastic at ASL. That is, for everyone who is confused, American Sign Language. She has taken one semester in college and flourished with it! (I am so proud of her!)

She knows the signs (or can learn the signs) for this entire song. So, while I do a contemporary/lyrical dance number to this, she will be in the corner interpreting the song for the audience. So, she will be doing this:


That little girl is the cutest thing. Ever. 



Only...she is wayyyy more interesting to watch. I do not lie. When we get it all together, I will record it and put it up here for you!

So, no, I have not written. But hey! I am being creative!

And maybe now that everyone has a breather, you can be too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment