Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sewing Adventures

Picture of the Day: 
Picture of a garden flower.

Quote of the Day:
"Life isn't long enough for love and art."
-W. Somerset Maugham

So, I have done no writing.

I really haven't had time. What I have had time to do, however, is think about my other hobbies. I love costumes; so today, I shall give you an update on what I am trying to sew. First of all, I am in the process of trying to make a hobbit costume for myself! Loosely based off of Rosie's party dress, I have changed the colors and fabrics to create an original, though recognizable, look. Straight from the Shire. I am super excited about this costume, and cannot wait until spring break so that I can work on it some more. It is, however, proving to be an expensive endeavor. Costuming always is. 

I am glad I have acquired almost all of the supplies needed so far. I just need to buy two more things: the pattern for the chemise and the fabric for it. It should come out quite spiffy.

Now, if there is one thing I hate, it is people who bug me asking me to make them costumes. Someone I know has recently (within the past few months) asked me to make him the costume for Altair from Assassin's Creed. My first reaction was probably not. But just for fun, I looked it up. Check this guy out!



I surprised myself. I want to try it.  Now--there is no way that I am going to be able to do the leather work--my machine isn't industrial enough, nor do I have the money or skill. But I think I could tackle the tunics, sash and hood, and probably even the trousers. This guy looks completely awesome!

Really, the parts I can do come in four parts.

For the under tunic, it looks to be grey and breathable and light. If you're an assassin, I am assuming it wouldn't be heavy. A cheap possibility could be to dye muslin light grey and use that to make it. Or find grey cotton, it it feels right. It looks a little roughly woven, though. So I am thinking muslin may work.

For the over tunic, I am thinking some kind of white fabric that has a sturdy weave but is not overly hot stuffy. The guy needs to be able to move--he's an assassin. The over tunic also has a hood. So whatever fabric I use has to be heavy enough to make a good hood, too. I am thinking a trip to JoAnns is in order to judge the price and feel the fabrics. Cotton may still work, too. So I would have to see. 

The sash is simple---loads of red cotton fabric sewn into a sash. Doable.

Now, the trousers. Are they black or brown? I think they look black--but I was doing some research and most gamers agree they are a very dark and musty brown. Opinions? Oh yeah. Probably something thick and durable. I would have to go shopping, again. 

I don't know when I will have time to do it. Maybe over the summer when I cannot find a job. (Hahahaha...=[ ) Nonetheless, I think I am going to try this costume and see what happens. My skills aren't amazing, but if I ignore the leather, this one looks pretty simple.

Opinions??


No comments:

Post a Comment