Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Writer's Block vs. Author - Round 1

Picture of the Day: 
This is the house my cousin got married at. It is in Louisiana! 

Quote of the Day: 
"Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go."
- E. L. Doctorow

I haven't updated in a while, and I am sorry about that. It seems that finding any inspiration for anything is becoming increasingly hard, and sparing the time and motivation to work on this blog is becoming a rare occurrence. Once school is out, I am sure it will not be so slow (or at least that is what I am praying for). 

I have not done much of anything by way of writing, save for come up with a few new ideas for some stories that need to be fleshed out and worked with. Still, nothing has actually happened in penning it to paper; my writer's block has never been so bad before! 

I dug out all of my old stuff for my Legacy of Elysia series and re-read it, and tried my hardest to just put down a nice sentence, though could not do so. I am very discouraged--it has been over two and a half months since I have been able to work on that particular story, and it is the one that is going the best so far. 

Or, at least I hope it is! 

Lately, I have been worried about my style--and this was solidified as I reread the stuff I had already worked out and written. My greatest fear is that I turn out writing like Stephanie Meyer! If you don't know who she is, she wrote Twilight and there is nothing that I hate more than those books. The writing style sounds childish and plain, and her story line is bad, too. But I think this is an entry for another day. 

(If you disagree, I would like you to watch "Alex reads Twilight" on youtube. (If you can stand some mild language, this kid tells it like it is--and makes you laugh as he does so.) I will embed his Chapter One reading at the bottom of this entry.)

Anyway, what I am wanting desperately is for someone to read my work. I have given it to countless people and never get it back. I know people are busy, and I am not saying that reading my novel should be a priority. But I want help! And I am sick and tired of not being able to get any real feedback. I should have been a creative writing major--then people would be helping me out!

Basically: I am frustrated. I want so badly to keep writing, and I feel like it could get better if someone could tell me what I needed to fix in what I already have. I loathe my chapters ten and eleven--but I cannot figure out why. So I figure if someone can look at my stuff and then get back to me on what they think, maybe I will have some new spark of idea that could lead to inspiration. 

I'm desperate, people. I want to finish my work and not be defeated by writer's block. Sadly, at this point I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Everything is pretty much mapped out for this novel, too! I don't know what is wrong with me. 

Anyway, I am done ranting for now. Please take a look at "Alex reads Twilight". Ignore the language--it is hysterical.






Maybe my next post will be about why I dislike this series.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about having your novel planned out.. .really, only day, just sit down and start writing. It doesn't matter if it's terrible... once all the terrible stuff it out, the good writing comes out to play. And you know what? Once you start writing your novel, you'll see that it'll take a different turn of events than what you originally intended. And you know what? That's okay. :) You're just along for the ride.

    I firmly believe there is no such thing as writer's block. Especially if you are starving and writing is what pays the bills and puts food in your tummy. You'll be okay. Just set some time aside and force yourself to WRITE! :)

    You can write this blog, that means you can write a novel. Cake. (I know, easier said than done. But you'll be okay. I know you will.)

    ReplyDelete