Sunday, May 20, 2012

Picture of the Day: 
RIP Sophie Madeline -- we all love you and miss you oodles already.

Quote of the Day:
"Hope is necessary in every condition." 
-Samuel Johnson

Hello, dear readers! I hope this entry finds you well. I am sorry to say that I have not really thought much of this tired old blog, but tonight, as it approaches three in the morning, I found myself thinking that perhaps this is the company I needed. Perhaps it is time to give this old blog one last chance--so here it goes: a long awaited update.

I have not been able to do much work on my pirate novel since finishing it sometime in the past six months. I am finally handing it to someone to proofread this week, and I cannot thank that friend enough for offering to be my poor guinea pig. Hopefully, an update can follow soon in which I tell you that I am sending it out to try my hand at being published. Until then, though, that one has been on hold.

I have pretty much left many things on hold--my writing has become something of a passing fancy that sits on a back burner. Nonetheless, I have dabbled in perhaps two things since finishing my novel, and one is a simple scene that I am going to post for you today. 

This one was partially inspired by a song. I don't know much about the characters in this scene (just enough to make this all the more tragic), and I don't know if I will ever pick them up and turn them into a novel. However, I felt the urge to write this, and partially I believe it is because of a song that I listened to. I will post the link at the end of this and let you take a listen for yourself. 


So without much other talk, I give you the scene: 

            “Are you scared?” He asked.
            “Aren’t you?” Her voice was unsteady, trembling the same as her hands and spirit.
            He could see her eyes were wet, streaking lines down her cheeks. He could see fear in them as plain as a candle in darkness. Somehow, he managed a smile for her, and pulled her close against his chest. “No.” There was a resounding slam; the sound of wood on wood, the shuffle of heavy boots. She caught her breath. “It’s going to be a beautiful place,” he murmured. “A place where we’ll be together, and I’ll marry you. A place where things will be perfect.”
            She pressed her cheek against him, and he could feel the wet heat of her tears as they soaked through his clothes to his skin. The footsteps were getting closer. He felt her hands clench tighter to the cotton of his shirt.
            “We’ll start a family,” he told her. “We’ll grow old together. We’ll be safe.”
            “Safe,” she repeated quietly.
            “Doesn’t that sound nice?” He asked. The boots were outside their door. The bark of voices sounding like hunting dogs right outside their dark little room. She said nothing, but he felt her nod. “We just have to be brave first,” he promised. “Then we will be together again.”
            The door rattled, and she huddled closer. Another kick shook the door in its frame, and he wrapped his arms tighter around her and kissed the top of her head.
            “I love you,” he managed to whisper. Then, the door splintered open and the air was filled with pink mist and lead.

Maybe someday I will flesh this out into a full fledged story. But right now, I am going to let it lie. I have no clue what to do with it!

So now for the song, and this will complete a rather short entry. Still, reader, I cannot be to disappointed--I have an update and entry. Something I haven't had since January! 






I am not normally a Taylor Swift fan--I just cannot seem to get past her sound being so childish. But this song caught my attention when my sister played it from her room. The lyrics are fantastic, and I love the sound the Civil Wars added (they have a wonderful harmony and you should check them out when you get the chance, reader. You won't be disappointed!). 

There you have it! A quick update. 

I am not dead, and neither is this blog! Not yet anyway. 

Happy writing!
And perhaps today more than ever we celebrate the reader, too.
It takes all kinds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment