Monday, August 29, 2011

Picture of the Day: 
Blenheim Palace, two friends and a sister.

Quote of the Day: 
"If you re-read your work, you can find on re-reading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by re-reading and editing."
-William Safire
(Hahahaha. Ha. Sigh. As a writer, I found this too funny.)

Hello, my dear readers! I trust I have not abandoned you for too long. I am quite busy--my roof and room are being redone, so I have happily pulled out my inner designer and set her free to improve my workspace, livingspace and sleepingplace: my bedroom. Pictures to come of the more interesting pieces I have found to go in my room--and stories to go with each on how I found them, what it cost, and how my mind works when it comes to such things as interior decorating. 

Let it suffice to say this: when I started, my walls were half blue, half turtle wallpaper. I now am beginning to see a castle shine through these wood walls. Interested? I am sure. I will let you see the moment I have everything put all together. 

This blog, you say, is not for interior decorating? Pish posh. This blog is for anything I want it to be on. But yes, I understand you want updates on my writing, so I am going to oblige you. But only because I love your loyalty.

My pirate novel has been steadily growing. I have, just now, finished chapter five. This might not sound like much to you, dear reader, but trust me. I am quite proud of myself for this one. I have normally, by this time, trashed everything and started over---at least six times. This is going amazingly well, considering. And I owe it all to my sister, and the promise I made to myself that I would not trash anything until I was finished with the entire story and had a rough draft complete. That is why I can say that I have finished chapter five, but not mean that I am absolutely in love with it. I am sure it needs a lot of work (a part of me feels like it moved too fast), but that is something my Inklings of Tampa Bay friends are going to have to help me with. 

Oh, by the way, for the sake of not calling my friends the "Inklings of Tampa Bay" all the time, simultaneously sounding pompous and presumptuous in our ability to emulate the Greats, I shall call us the "Tinklings". It is probably closer to our skill set anyway. 

Well, my dears, I am eager to report that Liam and Jarek are very soon to begin the journey! Set-up and character introduction has mostly been taken care of, painted brightly and with interesting designs and textures to make sure that someone would not get bored. However, I am a firm believer that you cannot simply assume your readers care about your character from the moment they open your book. I think you have to win them. I want to make sure that when they begin their adventure, almost everyone loves Liam and Jarek as much as I do. That way if I, say, send trouble and hardship their way (don't expect this, mind you. This is a novel, after all) the reader wants them to survive. 

Nothing is worse than a character you don't care about. Especially when almost every word is devoted to them. 

After all, if you don't care, there goes the tension, the pleasure and the magic of the world I have created. And I do not believe in wasting my time! 

So, dear reader, I am going to leave you with a small look at something I have discovered. Take a listen to a new song I have found that I will put at the end. I don't know if you have ever heard of Boyce Avenue, but I am in love with them now!!



Faster Car, a cover by Boyce Avenue!


If that is a sound you like, there is more that this group of gentlemen have done! Tour their channel on youtube. There is a lot of stuff that is just wonderfully sung! (The girl is not a normal member of this group, but has a lovely voice of her own. Kina Grannis if you'd like to look her up yourself.)

Take this as another example of Boyce Avenue's serious talent.


Rolling in the Deep, a cover by Boyce Avenue.


There you have it! A new band to look out for (which is proof that good things can come from Florida!) and listen to, not to mention solid affirmation that I am getting somewhere and not stopping. Farewell for now, reader! I shall be back as soon as I can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment