Friday, April 29, 2011

Picture of the Day: 
In light of the royal wedding, I give you a shot I took from my older sister's wedding.

Quote of the Day: 
"The trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit."
-Moliere

Hello once again, my dearest readers! April has come and gone (Well...almost, anyway), with it, so has the semester. (who counts finals week, I ask you!?) It is time to plan for summer (if you happen to be off from class), and make the best of life. It is time to breathe. It is time for May's book of the month! Let's kick back and celebrate the beginning of free time, and I have just the book to help you get started. 


Eyes of Crow
by Jeri Smith-Ready


Nothing says "I have free time to enjoy myself!" like young adult fantasy novels! Really. I do not lie; try to find something that beats it and get back to me. Anyway, for your newfound freedom, I encourage you to take a look at this book--one I read a few years ago and instantly became one of my favorites. Eyes of Crow is both well written and enchanting, and everyone I have recommended it to agrees!

This novel is set in a world that seemingly harkens to Native American mysticism for inspiration. Each member of the community goes through what is called a "bestowing", a ceremony where spirit animals lay claim to the people and grant them powers; and each animal brings with it different powers. For instance, swans have the gift of dreams, wasps are ferocious fighters, as are the wolverines. And, as you go through life, your bestowed magics grow; but not from mere age! No, as you go through stages of life, your powers become more exact. When you first are chosen, your powers will stay the same until you have your first child. They will then stay the same until you become a grandparent.

Oh, and absolutely everyone is chosen.

Swans, otters, turtles, wolverines, wasps, spiders, bears...everyone lives in harmony with one another.

And then Rhia gets chosen by Crow, and the entire community begins to treat her strangely. 

You see, Crows are extremely rare, and Crows are feared. Crow's chosen children are there to lead you into the afterlife and be there for the transition of death. Even Rhia thinks it is creepy. However, as things begin to progress, Rhia gets an inkling that perhaps it is no coincidence that a helper of Crow was needed now.  Perhaps a crow will be needed.

Once you pick up this novel, you will not be able to put it down! I assure you, it is a masterpiece! Be aware that while this is a fantasy novel, there is a very strong plot of romance, too--so, if you are one of those people who dislikes reading any sort of love story, I regret to say this is not the book for you. For the rest of you, though, it is one you cannot afford to miss! 

Now, I am going to take a little bit of extra time with this particular recommendation and say a few further things. This is book one in a trilogy. (I have not yet read the last one--it makes me feel horrible inside. I plan on buying it next week, though!) You will love the characters, and you will love the author. I have a few links for you.

Read the book? Love it? Want to know what aspect would be given to you? Jeri Smith-Ready (yes, the author!) has a little quiz out there on the internet for you to take so you know for sure! I got Swan, so my power is foretelling the future through dreams and dream walking! Go ahead. See yours. Don't be shy!

Let me know what you got in the comments. 

Also, Jeri Smith-Ready is active on Facebook. If you love her books, be sure to be her friend and let her know you adore her writing! She has a myspace too, if you are still on there. I was on her top friends on myspace! Yeah...it is the little things in life.

So, my fellow readers, go out there and conquer the world one book at a time! Summer is so close, I can taste it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment